It’s been ages since I’ve done any real memory documenting on this blog — and considering that’s how it got it’s start (and I’m a believer in honoring your roots) I really don’t want to let too much time slip away before I keep at it.
I started the Mama and me with W & T series last year as a way of creating a time capsule of sorts. I pursued the idea after encountering Elise’s E&E project and just falling head over heels with the idea. My original goal was to do one of these time capsules every month for one year. And instead of saying I failed at doing so I’m going to go ahead and re-frame that bad boy and just say that I chose to prioritize other projects. ;)
I still like the idea of documenting moments in time: all of the little details that get swallowed up by the big picture but are still incredibly fun and fulfilling to revisit. Not for sake of capturing it all — because that would just leave one feeling like you were constantly failing — but just to remember one, maybe two, of the everyday things. The things that just seem commonplace and anecdotal at the time — the things you might not otherwise be able to recall.
Sooo, that leaves me here. Continuing my month by month documentation process in writing and photos (that I’ve taken along the way). A less involved, more approachable and much more realistic way of the now me diary-ing some of the incidentals for the future me to reflect on.
If for no other reason than just to see how far we’ve come.
- The way you bring me your sandals and say “eh eh eh eh eh”. Demanding that I put them on, clearly signifying your desire to go outside. Oh and the beaming smile you wear after I’ve done so.
- How you are quick to hit me in the face when you are mad (and the face you make when you do it), but how you’re even quicker to give me a hug (and the way you lay your had one whatever body part is nearest) to ‘make it all better’
- They way you just study Wyatt. Soaking him up, practically breathing him in. It’s an insanely awesome blessing to watch that kind of relationship develop before your eyes.
- Your new found love of your ‘Thurser bear’. And how you close your eyes and dig your head into him when you hug him.
- Your ridiculous attachment to your pacifier. Oh how I do NOT look forward to being the one to have to take it away. :(
- Your waddle run.
- The way you make cheezy grins just to get us to laugh. You are a clown.
- How you always say “Look mama, we’re having a picnic!” when we all sit on the ground together to put our shoes on.
- Your ability to show grace and forgiveness.
- How you can identify makes and models of cars with impeccable accuracy.
- How you get super upset if I don’t wait to walk down the stairs with you.
- The way you sing the days of the week song and make your voice sound hoarse and exaggerated at the end.
- How you like to pick out which shoes you are going to wear for the day.
- The way you explain anything. You are always talking and want to learn and teach everything.
- Putting my phone (i.e. tablet, laptop) down more.
- Taking more photos than ever.
- Practicing less negative self talk and more grace.
- Trying not to wish away the hot weather because I love all the adventures that summer seems to bring.
- Feeling like I’ll never have my house clean and organized. Ever.
- Soaking up the way I feel when I look out over our field and the endless rows of corn and denying the feeling I get when I look at the project to-do list.
- Sporting the “mom bun” like it’s my job.