Remember when I complained about how sick I was of the cold and how hard it was to take photos inside with there being only one short hour window of good light? Well this past weekend it was in the fifties during the day! Yay for spring! Well, a taste of spring anyway. Knowing Ohio there will be at least one more significant snowfall before the end of March… #wompwomp
In all my “studies” of capsule wardrobes over the past year I have found myself to become familiar with the term uniform. And although I’ve always loved others sharing their uniforms, I’ve never really been sure what mine was until this past month. Perhaps it’s been out of the necessity to keep the bump covered [ tunics have become my shirts, dresses my tunics…] but this winter I have found my uniform to consist of the following: beanie + tunic + oversized cardigan + skinnies + ankle boots.
Not only do I feel completely comfortable — like this combo has my name written all over it — but it works for so many reasons… like:
1. The tunic hugs my bump to further accentuate it. You know, to take you from “is she pregnant?” to “how much time does she have left?!” You gotta flaunt what you got, right?
2. An over-sized cardigan is a personal favorite of mine because it makes me feel cozy. Like I’m perpetually wearing a blanket. I like the juxtaposition of the fitted tunic + the shapelessness of a “too big” cardigan.
3. Do I even need to explain why jean leggings work? They just work. All of the time. [Yes, I know they are called jeggings and no, I will never call them that. Just, no.]
4. I sincerely hope I haven’t underestimated the trendiness of the ankle boot because I’m too in love with them for them to ever go out of style. For me it used to be a decision between flats + no socks or knee high boots + socks all winter long… and I severely disliked either all of the time. For me ankle boots are the perfect compromise — so I’ll probably go on wearing them even if they become as bad as socks with sandals… [Feel free to openly make fun of me if I do ;)]
5. The beanie. I saved this one for last because recently it’s been my biggest saving grace. With a toddler that is refusing to let this very pregnant mama get consistent sleep [ahem, any sleep…] I’m finding myself with less and less time + energy + motivation to tame the bedhead. I will be most sincerely sad when it becomes too warm to wear my beloved beanie and I can no longer tame it in a blazing 1.2 seconds.
But wait! Baseball hats :)
Tell me, do you have a winter uniform?
Hat: Urban Outfitters
Top: ASOS, on sale!
Boots: Gap, back in stock!