A few months ago I came across a post over on the Cladwell Guide where Anuschka Rees answered 20 questions pertaining to style. I thought doing something similar (or in this case, the exact same thing) would be a fun way to give you some insight to my current thoughts on personal style, the fashion industry and my current closet.
1. What’s your favorite item in your closet?
My cognac brown ankle booties.
2. How would you describe your style?
Simple yet thoughtful with layered neutral textures.
3. What is the best style advice you’ve ever gotten?
Forget the rules.
4. What’s the best (general) advice you’ve ever gotten?
Probably also: forget the rules.
5. A quote you live by?
Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.
6. What is the most expensive clothing item you’ve ever bought?
A pair of nude leather ankle boots.
7. Do you still have them?
Yes (and still love them).
8. Shoes or Bags?
9. Do you prefer color or black & white?
Warm neutrals all the way.
10. The number of clothing items you’ve donated or set aside after a closet cleanout?
50, 60, 70+? (I never actually counted)
11. What’s a style every woman should try at least once in her life?
Any one that feels like her — despite what any ‘dressing for your body type’ article says…
12. What brings you the greatest joy?
Everyday simple moments. Like when my boys hug each other unprompted. A ridiculously pink + orange + purple sunset — the kind you don’t even attempt to get a photo of. A piping hot crockpot dinner when you come home from a long day. Or that first sip of coffee in the morning.
13. Who is the last person you followed on Twitter or Instagram?
@nancyncrew — lovely snaps of motherhood!
14. What’s the last three items you bought?
A pair of overalls, a pair of cognac brown ankle booties and a pair of black suede pumps.
15. What’s an app you can’t live without?
Google Drive (and/or Google Photos).
16. What’s currently on your coffee table?
Hmm. I don’t have a coffee table? (Babies…) So let’s say dresser: a lamp, an antique book, a piece of (vintage?) coral, my grandma’s old wooden jewelry box, and copper stacking cups with a few commonly worn pieces of jewelry.
17. What item in your closet do you wear the most?
I would have to say my medium wash distressed jeans.
18. What book/article has had the biggest impact on your life?
Hard to really pin this one down, but I’m still reeling after ‘Fight Back with Joy’ and I read it almost two years ago now.
19. What are some things that tend to make you calm?
Crisp sunny mornings spent outdoors, a freshly made latte or a baby sleeping on my chest.
20. What is one thing you wish you knew about your style when you were younger?
Ignore the negative connotation you have of “plain Jane” style. Just because that’s how people describe a “simple” or “no-fuss” approach to style doesn’t mean it is un-interesting, lacking or all around boring. In fact there’s really nothing inherently plain about it. It doesn’t mean you are plain or boring or not fun. So don’t get caught up on that.
It is straight forward, approachable and never ‘goes out of style.’ More importantly, it suits you, feels like you, IS you. Embrace it, own it and run with it — you’ll be ever so happy you did.
Medium wash distressed denim by Madewell (secondhand) | similar
This post is not sponsored but contains affiliate links. When you shop via the links above I may make a small commission from a sale. Thank you so much for supporting The Lovely Laura Life!